Then-Phillies reliever Pat Neshek works against the Arizona Diamondbacks on June 25, 2917 - Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images
With the non-waiver trade deadline approaching on July 24, the Colorado Rockies made a move to bolster their bullpen, acquiring reliever Pat Neshek from the Philadelphia Phillies for three minor leaguers.
COLORADO ROCKIES ACQUIRE RIGHT-HANDED PITCHER PAT NESHEK FROM PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES IN EXCHANGE FOR THREE MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS
Left-handed pitcher Tyler Anderson transferred to the 60-day disabled list
ST. LOUIS – The Colorado Rockies announced today that they have acquired right-handed pitcher Pat Neshek and cash considerations from the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for three Minor League players: infielder Jose Gomez, right-handed pitcher J.D. Hammer and right-handed pitcher Alejandro Requena. Additionally, left-handed pitcher Tyler Anderson has been transferred to the 60-day disabled list (left knee inflammation).
· Neshek, 36, is 3-2 with a 1.12 ERA (40.1 IP, 5 ER), five walks and 45 strikeouts in 43 relief appearances for Philadelphia this season … was acquired by Philadelphia via trade from Houston on Nov. 4, and is on the final year of a three-year contract that he signed with Houston on Dec. 12, 2014 … he is a two-time All-Star, in 2014 as a member of St. Louis and this season as the lone representative of the Phillies … made his Major League debut on July 7, 2006 as a member of the Minnesota Twins and has played in parts of 11 seasons with Minnesota (2006-08), San Diego (2011), Oakland (2012-13), St. Louis (2014), Houston (2015-16) and Philadelphia (2017) … in 466 career relief appearances, is 31-21 with eight saves, a 2.76 ERA (432.2 IP, 130 ER), 125 walks and 423 strikeouts … originally selected by Minnesota in the sixth round of the 2002 First-Year Player Draft, Neshek has pitched in four postseason campaigns with Minnesota (2006), Oakland (2012), St. Louis (2014) and Houston (2015), and is 0-2 with a 2.61 (10.1 IP, 3 ER) in 13 postseason appearances. Neshek Stats
· Gomez, 20, has played 81 games for Low-A Asheville this season and has batted .324 (103-for-318) with 54 runs, 20 doubles, two triples, four home runs, 33 RBI, 18 walks, 57 strikeouts and 18 stolen bases … a Mid-Season All-Star with Asheville, Gomez was originally signed as a non-drafted international free agent on July 2, 2013 … is batting .316 (331-for-1,048) with 179 runs, 60 doubles, six triples, nine home runs, 130 RBI, 74 walks, 139 strikeouts and 73 stolen bases across four Minor League seasons. Gomez Stats
· Hammer, 23, has made 36 relief appearances between Low-A Asheville and High-A Lancaster this season, combining to go 4-2 with a 2.36 ERA (42.0 IP, 11 ER), 14 walks and 65 strikeouts … he was named a Mid-Season All-Star with Asheville after going 4-1 with a 1.20 ERA (30.0 IP, 4 ER), five walks and 47 strikeouts in 24 games prior to his June 22 promotion to Lancaster … he was originally selected by Colorado in the 24th round of the 2016 First-Year Player Draft, and is 4-4 with a 3.15 ERA (85.2 IP, 30 ER), 25 walks and 117 strikeouts in two Minor League seasons across three levels. Hammer Stats
· Requena, 20, was also named a Mid-Season All-Star with Asheville and has gone 8-3 with a 2.85 ERA (117.0 IP, 37 ER), 25 walks and 97 strikeouts in 19 starts this season … originally signed as a non-drafted international free agent on Sept. 5, 2013, Requena is 14-15 with a 3.78 ERA (285.2 IP, 120 ER), 65 walks and 228 strikeouts across 60 career appearances with 48 starts in four seasons across three levels of Minor League play. Requena Stats
· Anderson, 27, was placed on the 10-day disabled list with left knee inflammation on June 26, his second DL stint with left knee inflammation this season … had made just one start and one relief appearance after being activated from the 10-day disabled list on June 22 … in 13 appearances, 12 starts, this season is 3-5 with a 6.11 ERA (63.1 IP, 43 ER), 23 walks and 63 strikeouts … since making his Major League debut in 2016, Anderson has posted a record of 8-11 with a 4.46 ERA (177.2 IP, 88 ER), 51 walks and 162 strikeouts in 32 appearances, 31 starts. Anderson Stats
The Rockies have a full 40-man roster.